slideshow widget

Friday, June 14, 2013

The main difference between working nights and days

I was told by a patient that when I work nights I tend to pace, and when I work days I become more involved in conversing.  After thinking about this, I realized it's true. 

At nights I'm tired, so I don't really feel like conversing.  Plus when working nights I work alone, and I carry the ER beeper.  So this makes me fear that my beeper will go off at any time, so I'm always in a hurry to get done.  At nights I tend to provide less therapy and focus more on getting tasks done. 

At night elderly people don't have their hearing aids in.  At night some get irritated when you wake them, or are groggy.  At night there are fewer opportunities, and less desire, for conversation. 

During the day people tend to have hearing aids in, and they are awake.  During the day you are more awake, and more likely to feel like conversing.  Yes, during the day I converse more and pace less. 

This is one of the main differences between working nights and working days.

Facebook
Twitter

No comments: