slideshow widget

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Why don't RT Schools teach how to know when someone will be short of breath like medical schools do?

So I was talking with a physician recently retired from Shoreline Medical, and he said respiratory therapy was just brushed over in a day, and anything else a physician comes up with is typically based on whatever he reads, or however his mind interprets it.  

I said, "So then how do doctors know when someone is going to be short of breath."  

He laughed at my question, then sort of looked at me cockeyed.  I never budged, and he must have realized I was serious.  So he joined in my silence.  

I said, "Most doctors order albuterol on a frequency: Q4, Q6, QID, TID, etc. If they are not taught this in school, then what, may I ask, are they privy to that provides them the wisdom to know exactly when someone will be short of breath."

"They must be privy to the physicians creed," he crooned.  We both laughed. 

So here's my question for my readers:  Any of you brainiacs out there, tell me, how do I join the 10 to 11 million physicians so that I, too, can know exactly when a patient will be short of breath. I want what they've got.  I want the intelligence they have; the kind you don't get from sitting in classrooms.

How do I learn how to know exactly when someone will be short of breath? I want that kind of knowledge.  I want the kind of knowledge a doctor does, when he orders treatments Q4 because he knows someone will be short of breath every four hours, or QID, because he knows a person will only be short of breath four times a day.  

That is the kind of knowledge I'm lacking.  I know if I somehow could gain access to the esoteric wisdom gained at medical schools, I could be as rich as a physician.  I suppose my retired doctor friend could be right, that they read the Real Physician's Creed.  

No comments: