slideshow widget

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Senior RT Encourages Skill Development at Major Hospit

I embarked on my journey as an RT in November of 1996, initially juggling roles at four different hospitals as part of the pool. I worked in Muskegon at the prominent hospital there, in Shelby at Lake Shore, in Manistee at West Shore, and here at Shoreline. (I was still just a CRT at this time; back then, you were able to work as an RT with just this one-year certificate.

Despite being in demand at all these places, none of them could offer me a full-time position. Consequently, I found myself taking on as many hours as possible, leading to burnout from the relentless schedule. Although the financial compensation was decent (hovering around $12 an hour, but that's a story for another day), my physical well-being was taking a toll. It became evident that I needed to make a choice and commit to working at just one place.

Among the hospitals, Shoreline Medical stood out as my favorite. It had a welcoming and down-to-earth atmosphere, and I felt a strong connection with my coworkers. The collaboration between different departments was commendable, and the nurses and other staff members made the workplace feel like a comfortable community. So, I made the decision to exclusively work at Shoreline.


Shortly after making this commitment, a Senior RT named Doug took me aside. We happened to be in the cafeteria after it had closed for dinner. Why we were there I have no idea. But we sat at a table, and Doug started talking about me and his humble opinion in his usual soft-spoken voice:

"John, you have a lot of potential. I don't say that much to new RTs, but I'm saying it now. And if you really want to hone in on your skills as an RT, you would be better off working in Grand Rapids. We just don't see a lot of action here. This is a great place for older RTs like me, people who have already been around the block and are just buying out our time until retirement. But, as a new RT, I highly recommend that you go to the big city where you will see a lot and learn a lot."

I sat in silence while I absorbed what he said, unable to find the right words in the moment. We both sat there quietly, perhaps lost in our own thoughts and gazing into space. After mulling over his advice, I eventually managed to articulate my response.

"I appreciate your advice, Doug. I will definitely take some time to think about it."

Reflecting on his suggestion, I questioned why I never pursued a job in Grand Rapids. Technically, I had the freedom to work anywhere since I didn't have a family to tie me down. However, being a laid-back small-town person, I realized that I thrived in the intimate setting of smaller RT departments. The thought of navigating through crowds didn't appeal to me, especially considering the bustling environment of the RT Cave in Grand Rapids. While I was confident I could excel as an RT in a larger hospital, I chose the comfort of a small-town hospital, particularly Shoreline.

After much contemplation spurred by Doug's advice, I ultimately decided to remain at Shoreline. Since then, I've never once regretted my choice. 

In retrospect, Doug had a valid point: I would have seen more traumas and taken care of more critical patients at the major hospital in Grand Rapids. However, working for a small town hospital has its advantages too. And I will tackle those advantages tomorrow. 

No comments: