slideshow widget

Thursday, January 11, 2024

I Was Once Told I Wasn't Going To Make It As An RT

My first clinical did not go so well for me. And it resulted in two different people trying to stop me from becoming a respiratory therapist (RT). Despite their skepticism, I persevered, and today, with 27 years of experience, I proudly serve as an RT. Moreover, I've become the world's most famous respiratory therapy blogger, sharing my insights here at the RT Cave.

Admittedly, my first clinical experience was challenging. As the first in my family to pursue a medical profession, I lacked familiarity with healthcare. Being inherently introverted, my comfort waned in large social settings, a challenge compounded by social anxiety disorder. The first hospital clinical was particularly nerve-wracking.

To exacerbate matters, my initial preceptors were neither kind nor patient. Nervousness plagued my attempts at administering breathing treatments, and I encountered difficulties assembling an oxygen tank. A particularly stern and bossy older RT even compelled me to showcase tank assembly in the department, where nerves got the best of me. It wasn't my inability but the scrutiny that heightened my anxiety.

After the completion of the clinical, my clinical advisor summoned me to his office, the closed door heightening my anxiety. His words cut deep, "Your preceptors at your clinical called me." He paused, then added, "Some individuals excel in class and on tests but struggle in the field. I'm wondering if you might be one of them. Perhaps pursuing a different career would be advisable. Your personality might not align with the vibrant, outgoing demeanor required in healthcare."

Later, I sought solace in a conversation with my friend Shauna, a fellow RT student and a lasting friend. Over drinks at a local brew pub, she reassured me, expressing her disagreement with our clinical advisor's discouraging words. Her support was invaluable, and despite the initial setback, I decided to persevere. The change in fortune came with my next clinical placement, where supportive preceptors helped me regain confidence and excel in various RT tasks.

After completing RT school, Shauna put in a good word for me, and I secured a position at a large hospital, embarking on a smooth start to my career. While there were moments of nervousness and intense focus, I believe I performed well and embraced the challenges that came my way. Later, a job opening emerged in her hometown of Shoreline, Michigan. Despite my desire for the position, I chose not to apply, opting to avoid competing with my friend. In the end, she secured the job, and our professional paths continued to intertwine.

However, a new opportunity emerged a few months later when my friend Shauna informed me about a job opening at Shoreline Medical. Eager to explore new horizons, I applied and successfully secured the position. To my surprise, I later learned that an RT named Michelle, who had been part of my initial clinical experience, attempted to impede my hiring by portraying me as a subpar therapist. This revelation was disheartening, yet it fueled my determination to prove her wrong.

Despite her attempts, Shauna did a great job of convincing her boss that I was the better choice between the two of us, and that I would indeed be a great RT. Also, Star, an RT who worked with Shauna and took care of me when I was an asthmatic child admitted for asthma, put in a good word about me. Fortunately, my new boss saw beyond Michelle's perspective and hired me based on my merits.

Shauna's supportive testimony, highlighting my intelligence and potential for greatness, further contributed to my successful integration into the new workplace. This experience taught me the importance of resilience and the positive impact of supportive colleagues. As I reflect on my 27-year career as a respiratory therapist and my role as a renowned RT blogger, I appreciate the journey that began with uncertainties and evolved into a fulfilling and impactful profession

No comments: