slideshow widget

Saturday, June 3, 2023

Treat ALL Patients With Respect And Dignity

For the past couple weeks I've had this patient with Cerebral Palsy. She seemingly just lies there and sometimes I wonder if she is even there. But every time I go into her room I talk to her like she is a real person. I explain what I am doing. 

And she has a trach. And sometimes she squinches at me as I'm pulling out her inner cannula or changing out her HME. But, all the time, I keep talking to her and explaining to her. 

I am no expert on how to handle these types of patients. In a way, I feel sorry for them as they are just lying in bed all day. And they can't do anything for themselves. Still, as a Christian, I treat them as best I can. And, the first day I had this patient, I noticed she was watching cartoons on her little TV. And I asked her if she liked this cartoon. And she seemingly smiled at me. 

But was she really smiling? 

I don't know. 

But, on the second day I had this patient, I went into her room and talked to her as though she was any other patient. I explained why I was there and who I was. And when I was done, I noticed there were two balloons along the side of her bed. 

And I picked up one of the balloons. And I touched her nose with the balloon. And she smiled. And I doinked her nose again and again. And each time I got this big smile. And, I am thinking, I think she likes this. 

So, every time I went into her room the next few days I did the same. 

By the way. She has been in our hospital now for two weeks. With cerebral palsy, she is unable to move her hands or feet. Well, she can move her hands, there is posturing that is normal for people with certain neurological conditions. The nurses tell me how she uses her hands to swat at them in anger. Other respiratory therapist say the same. But, for me, she has never done this. Not one time has she used her hands to swat at me. And, I think it's because I talk to her like a normal person (and she is a normal person). She is a human, one of God's children. And I treat her as such. And, therefore, I think, that is why she treats me as much. And why she doesn't swat at me and while she "smiles" at me. 

She was in a foster care home and had a room mate. Her room mate was another adult who was mentally slow or had some sort of disability. I am not sure what it was. And her room mate was visiting with her. And, while her room mate was visiting with her in the hospital, she went into respiratory distress. 

And she was intubated. And she was shipped to another hospital. And I did not see her again for two weeks. Now she is back at our hospital with a trach. And I have to visit her every 4-6 hours to check her trach, wash her trach, change her innner cannula, or change or HME. Or, sometimes I just visit her. 

And each time I do I pat that balloon on her nose. And she smiles. And, still, I wonder if she is smiling because I am doing this. Or if it is just a coincidence as she is just moving her lips around her teeth showing her teeth making it look like a smile. 

So, today I enter her room all burned out after working several codes. I go into her room thinking I'm just going to look at her trach making sure it's okay. And, as I approach her bed, she moves her head, looks at me, and her eyes light up. And she looks at that balloon with a HUGE smile on her face. 

And I grab the balloon. I pat her nose many times. And each time she smiles and gives me a laugh. 

And when I'm done, I say, "I have to go now. I will come back tomorrow to see you again." And I take the two balloons and set them so that they are just above her head. And she looks up at those balloons with a curious smile. 

If only she could grab those balloons and pat her own nose with them. Apparently, she is happy when I am around. 

No comments: