slideshow widget

Saturday, June 10, 2023

1 Quick 4 hour shift tonight

It's my weekend off. I volunteered to come in and work four hours tonight so a coworker could go to her niece's birthday party. I'd do that for anyone. As I'd hope they would return the favor some day. But, I don't do it so they will return the favor. I do it because it's the right thing to do. 

And I"m fortunate to have good kids who can take care of themselves for four hours alone. Although, if I'm lucky (if they are lucky) my 20 year old daughter will pay a visit and hang out with them. I'm sure she will do that, as I've already informed her of the treats I bought and left in the kitchen. I'm sure a good movie is in the works for them. 

And, I suppose, I do it for my children. I am working tonight to make a few extra bucks so I can take them somewhere fun this summer, perhaps Cedar Point. 

Though, as I am sitting here in the peace of the night, I am reminded of how nice it is working night shift. I love this, and would someday like to return to this. I love working by myself. I love being in the RT Cave all alone with nothing else but my 80s music and my chrome book in front of me. Ah, this is nice. 

Sure, shit could hit the fan at any moment. But, chances are, for the next 40 minutes that I am here, all will be well. And I go home at 11 pm, a slight 1/3 of this night shift. But, if you go back and read some of my blog posts from before 2010, I debated going to days. 

Days are fine. It's nice to be awake. I love my coworkers. I love getting to know my patients during the day. But, nights are so much better (minus the sleepiness). I imagine, once my kids are done with school, I will return here some day. Especially if I have to work until I'm 67. I can't imagine walking as much as we do in the day when I'm that young. 

We'll see. This brings back an old topic: What are the benefits to working nights as compared to working days. If I remember right, I made this list before. There were 20 benefits to working nights and one benefit to working days. And they balance each other out. Of course, the one is being on a normal circadian rhythm.

It's peaceful here tonight. I will go home in a half hour now. I will probably sit on my recliner and drink a glass of wine. I will be off the next five days. I plan to enjoy them.  

No comments: