slideshow widget

Monday, May 9, 2022

"Breathe!"

We had a two-year-old come into our ER. He was seizing. And no matter what the doctor ordered he continued to seize. So, it was decided to intubate the child. 

And I work for a small hospital. We are a small hospital in a large chain of hospitals.So the corporate bosses -- the powers that be -- did not stock us up with a ventilator to use on a child like this. So, I was forced to resort to the antediluvian technique of bagging the child. I think I ended up bagging for about an hour before the EMTs arrived to take the child to the big city hospital. And, lo and behold, the EMTs didn't have a ventilator for this situation either, so they also had to bag the child for the duration. 

The reason I bring this us, is as I'm bagging, the dad of the child is standing on the other side of the bed. We are engrossed in a nice discussion. And my Apple Watch dings. And on the watch it says, "Breathe!" 

I think nothing of this. However, the dad says, "I think that's neat that you are a respiratory therapist and you have to have your phone tell you to breathe!"

And we both laughed. It's neat how we humans can find humor even in the most mundane of situations. And I think that is a good way of reducing stress. 

No comments: