slideshow widget

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Advice! Get the doubt out of your words

"I have to give you a breathing treatment. Okay????????"

No. Do not say that kind of sentence. I learned, as you may have too, that saying "Okay?" is opening an opportunity for them to say, "No!!!!!"

Which is bad. Especially when you want them to say, "Yes!"

So, don't say, "Okay?????" 

That is unless you want them to say, "No!" 

There are many times I want my patients to say no. This is true when I've given them many breathing treatments that have had no effect. If I think the treatments are a waste of time, then I may be more elusive in how I approach them. I might say, "Do you want a breathing treatment?"

"No!"

Great. I write it off as a refusal. 

But if I think the treatment is necessary. I enter their room, and say, "Hi. I have a breathing treatment for you." And just give it. 

Saying "Okay?" invites the answer "No!" So, just know this before you say, "Okay?" 

"I have to suction you, okay?????" 

Yeah. That's too wishy-washy, unless the answer you are seeking is," NO!" Otherwise, saying "OKAY???????? Is an invitation for them to say, "NO!!!!"  If you want them to say, "YES!!!" be more specific: "I have to suction you. The doctor wants me to suction you."

Yes, and you can blame the doctor. 

Now if your wife texts you, and says, "Stop at the grocery store and pick up some sausage!" Then you can say, "Ok!" That's just wise. But don't form it in the shape of a question. Just say, "OK!" Or, you can simplify it with a, "K." 

Thoughts? 

No comments: