slideshow widget

Friday, December 7, 2012

A rare off kilter moment

Rarely am I ever rude to a patient.  I find it counterproductive and non professional to say the least.  Yet there are times when it's appropriate.  Last night was such a case.  The patient kept fidgeting with the Bipap and I was in the room continuously. 

"You need to knock it off," I said.  "I'm not going to be able to help you if you don't leave this alone.  If you don't want it say so. Otherwise I have to keep it on you to keep  you alive."

Of course this was after several attempts to make the mask as comfortable as I could. This time he pulled something out of the mask and I couldn't figure out where it went and his tidal volume was reading zero.  It was the pressure line, so I knew he was getting plenty of air it just wasn't reading on the machine.

He was a D-Tox guy to make matters worse.  And he said, "Fine.  Take your mask and shove it.  I'm not wearing it anymore."

"That's okay," I said, "I'll just set it over here and we can try it again later if you want." 

I left the room and reported the incident to the nurse. That reminds me, in report at the beginning of my shift I was informed the man was a PIA, and if you don't know what that is I'm not telling. 

No comments: