slideshow widget

Monday, October 22, 2012

The best part of being a respiratory therapist

Your Question:  What do you like best about being an RT?:

My Answer:  I think the best part of any job is teamwork.  I love it when you work together as a team to get something done, or save a person's life.  This is the same type of joy I get when I'm working with members of the Knights of Columbus to make money for charity.  It's all about the power of One.  You have a job to do, and it may even be a small job, but it's very significant.  Every one else knows you're doing your job and that you're doing it well, so they don't have to worry about it.  Because you are doing your small job, and everyone else is doing their small job, that the project gets done.  As an RT my small job is a HUGE job, because I'm managing the airway most of the time, or I'm doing chest compressions, or I'm drawing a blood gas.  Even doing a breathing treatment sometimes seems like a small job, because it's not what cures the person.  Anyone who's worked as an RT knows that while you're in a room with a critical patient, there's a whole lot going on, with everyone working together, each with a role, to benefit the patient.  It's that teamwork, the power of one, that's the most awesome part of being an RT.

No comments: