slideshow widget

Thursday, April 2, 2009

The ghost of critical care, or a patient saying "bye"

The ghost of critical care has been a staple at Shoreline for as long as I've worked here. One of the first days I worked here I was made aware of her. I'm not sure if it is a female, but the vibes I get tend to make me think that way.

I'm not sure if the story I want to relay today has something to do with the ghost or not. But it makes for an interesting story nonetheless.

Mr. Nurse told me on my first day here years ago of his first encounter with her. One of his patients, Mrs. Patient, was in a bed in room A, and she was seriously ill. He was in the room talking to her, and she said, "I think I'm ready to go now."

Back at the nurses station Mr. Nurse listened as the cardiac monitor alarmed. When he looked at it, he saw the following across the screen:

"Byebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebye byebyeByebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebye byebyeByebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebyebye byebye."
He rushed back to her room, and she was no longer in this world.

The funny thing was, Mr. Nurse told me this happened on the old cardiac monitors that did not have the capability to show words.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now that is just plain freaky.