slideshow widget

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

RT Cave Holiday Schedule sucks

Okay, so enough of the archaic poetry. That's one of the nice things about being writer, publisher and editor of my own blog: I get to change the pace when I want.

Another reason for blogging, aside from educating, is complaining. That's what I feel like doing today. Yes, another change of pace.

Complaining is something that is frowned upon the the greater light, but complaining can also be constructive if done in a professional way. I certainly cannot complain without people thinking I'm a grump, so I usually don't do it.

My wife, on the other hand, is the squeaky wheel who usually gets the grease. As I've written before, she has this disposition where she usually gets what she wants. Well, it certainly helps that she has a better personality than me, and she's far better looking.

When I complain all I get is ugly stares, and people tend to think I'm just a grouch.

I like to look at constructive complaining in this light: I'M NOT COMPLAINING, I'M MERELY STATING THE FACTS.

That's true, but people don't always see it that way. And, most important, most people don't want to hear that they are wrong, stupid, idiotic, and, well, wrong.

As is the case for much hospital policy. We have a policy here at Shoreline where the night before the holiday is considered the holiday. Whereas, Thanksgiving is not the holiday.

Yes, you read that right. According to hosp. policy, we get paid from 7 p.m. of the night before Thanksgiving, and the night of Thanksgiving is not considered the holiday at all.

So this year is my holiday off, and I actually work the holiday. I work Thanksgiving night. Does that sound stupid or what? Yes, I'm complaining. And you can see I'm not very tactful, which is why I don't do this very often.

Thanksgiving actually falls on a day I was regularly scheduled to work, so the boss left me on that day EVEN THOUGH IT'S MY FRICKIN HOLIDAY OFF. So, while every other person is at home having fun with their families, I have to go to work, EVEN THOUGH IT'S MY FRICKIN HOLIDAY OFF.

Christmas works out fine. We get time and a half on Christmas Eve, and that is the time that everyone wants off to be with their family. The 4th of July is the other holiday where our policy does not work.

On the 4th we get paid time and a half to work the 3rd of July 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. The argument for holiday pay the night before, is that it covers more hours of the actual holiday.

My argument is this: PEOPLE SHOULD GET TIME AND A HALF ON THE NIGHTS WHEN NOBODY ELSE WANTS TO WORK, NOT ON THE NIGHT THAT COVERS THE MOST HOLIDAY HOURS.

Think of it this way. Nothing ever happens on July 3rd. There are no fire works, and there is no parades. So, if you are working the holiday on the 3rd, you can go home and sleep until noon, and still make it to the parade, and still go to the fireworks that night. In that sense, it's better to work the holiday of the fourth than have it off.

On the 4th, when everybody is out having fun is the day that should be considered the holiday.

But, for whatever reason, I have been unable to convince my place of employment of this. I am forced to keep my mouth shut. Last Christmas I complained about this, and the boss got mad about me.

AND THIS IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS I THINK I MIGHT GET OFF NIGHTS AS SOON AS THE OPPORTUNITY IS OFFERED TO ME. Otherwise, I love working nights.

It just seems that the greatest tension of the night shifters comes around holiday time, convincing the bosses that, hey, this is my holiday off, why the heck am I working the holiday?

More tomorrow.

No comments: