slideshow widget

Monday, January 1, 2007

Appraise for RT Cave

I just want you to know that I'm not a respiratory therapist, I don't even work in a hospital, and I do not have a lung disease. Yet your writings are so great I can't help but to read them every day. Thanks.

Martin

"I just wanted to also add a comment. I am a RT student who is graduating next month and I am feeling very nervous about being out on my own. This website and especially this page will most likely become my best friend. Thank you for this invaluable resource you have given us!"

Carol

"just wanted to post and tell you how much I love your blog. I just graduated in December so I'm still a newbie and occasionally get stuck getting a little TMI. This blog helped me through school and now at my job. Thanks so much!!"

Megan

"This RT made me laugh so hard when I was feeling like green poop from the job. I mean I came home feeling all crappy and stumbled upon his description of Ventolin types and nearly peed in my pants from laughing so hard, and I was no longer feeling crappy from work I was feeling the pleasing release of laughter endorphins. It is my perfect dose of humor, my style, and his blog is so educational I love it."

SeeJaneNurse

Hi! I am an RT student, and I stumbled upon your website, and now will be combing thru it!!!! This is great, i will be tellin my classmates to look it up!!! THANK U!!!!!!!

RT Student (Nov. 2009)

FYI I love your blog. I've told pretty much everyone of the RT's at work about about it. I'm addicted, I get an email everyday with your posts.

Stefanie (July 2, 2010)

Love you site Rick, I always look here for the answers. Thanks for always posting links to other research and journals.

Robbie (July 9, 2010)




I just wanted to say you have one the best blogs on the Internet its one of few i read. Write now i am in college and hoping to become a respiratory therapist and have now applied to a two year program. Your blog has great info and is one of things that helps inspire me to going on this path. I know your time is busy i just wanted to give credit and say for the inspiration.

Shawn (August 30, 2010)

Normally I wouldn’t comment on posts but I felt that I had to as your writing style is really good. You have broken down a difficult area so that it easy to understand.

Anonymous (October 1, 2010)

Your site is a blessing from God and I really do mean this! I want to thank you for your vast knowledge, commitment and passion to this profession. I'm a young respiratory therapist by profession but not by age (laughing). I want to be the best that I can be to my patients as well as comfortable and confident in what I am doing, so any thing that can broaden my insight, I'm all for it. Believe this or not, as I was surf on the web site, I asked God to direct me to a site that I can receive knowledge for my field, and up came Respiratory Cave Blogs.

Joy (October 28, 2010)

 am a first year, first semester RT student. I just want to thank you for this amazing website. I can tell already that I will learn a lot from it, and I really appreciate all the links.

You ROCK the house.

Terriann (November 9, 2010)

Great information! Have yet to find a more informative blog, thanks for all you do. Especially enjoy the balance b/w commentary on the profession & education.

Anonymous (December 9, 2010)

I am an RT student at a college outside of Houston. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. I am starting my second semester on Tuesday and we have already lost about a third of our class. I have already had that feeling you describe of "if they can be an RT, I know I can" They are also already preparing for careers as complainers....one student consistently asks to go home early. Is this the RT you want working on you? Thanks again. All the best!

Sheila (January 13, 2011)

I actually walk around my hospital quoting you! I personally am living in PD&P Hell..... it's ordered more often than Albuterol.... and just as inappropriately!

Margarette (Feb. 19, 2011)

Great site, Rick! I remember Susphrine! As a boy, I thanked God for it quite a few times. I knew I'd be OK in a couple of minutes, after a long, horrible night. Your description was on the money.

Duke (February 27, 2011)

I just discovered your blog and enjoyed the series on hypoxic drive theory quite a bit. Just wanted to thank you for your dedication and hard work and I know that I will be reading many more of your posts in the weeks to come and using them as a reference for my medic student.

Adrienne (April 17, 2011)

I really do enjoy your blog and is a great asset for us just starting out on this journey. It makes me feel good to know that we are so important to a critical care team. Thanks.

Joseph (September 22, 2011)

Rick. I Love the web site and your humor. Add this RT wannabe to your list of fans, snot suckers, neb jocks, and vent flyers.

Bruce (November 19, 2011)

Hello Mr. Frea, I really would like to thank you for helping me to stay positive. I am new in the field and whenever I feel any doubt, I visit your blog to reassure myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jennifer (January 13, 2012)

Thank you for the extremely helpful tips. i really appreciate you giving your personal experiences in the field, it has given me something to look forward to once i have graduated from RT School. Please Keep posting, i look to forward to continuing to read your blogs take care.

(February 17, 2012)

Yo Rick.I'm positive you have heard this a thousand times. Great site! Though I have been an Rt for a few short years, I feel like I'm still putting things together. I'm embarrassed at some of the things I don't remember and sometimes afraid to speak cause it may show my ignorance. I'm quietly confident, never a know it all. The fact is, your site is a great find. Seeds that were planted in school get sprouted in my mind and I get the ahaaa moments reading your posts and venturing your site. Thanks bro!!!!

Scott, los banos ca.(May 11, 2012)

I am in my 3rd year of a BSRC program and frequently read your blog and read your "RT Wisdom" as a study aid. Thanks so much!

Kevin 10/16/12

I love your page it is very helpful as an RT student. Thank you!
Anonymous RT Student (November 2, 2012)
Honestly your blog is the best on Asthma I've ever found, thanks to it's style and the variety of topics it covers. Any question I ever had on Asthma I found the answer here. So thank you for your amazing writing
SR (November 19, 2012)

You are a GREAT (and this is an understatement) write!
Lannette (January 3, 2013)

I'm a newbie to your post. Thanks for every single last one of them. Though people don't comment much there are THOUSANDS that are very grateful for them.
Latoya (January 3, 2013)
OMG I was just complaining about this today, there's three particular doctors in the hospital where I work, that feel that bronchodilators fix everything from a broken toe to a bloody nose. There's a patient with a significant history of CHF, and the doctor refuses to believe that this short of breath, swollen legged woman needs more lasix. NOPE She needs breathing treatments by golly! UGGH. So annoying. Anyway, on a brighter note, I'm a new follower! I'm a respiratory therapist from Wyoming, and am glad I stumbled onto your blog :)

Heather (February 24, 2013)

I wanted you to know that I really enjoy this site, it has helped me with many concepts the last 2 quarters. I am a student in Seattle.I am in the midst of ventilation and starting my 3rd quarter in the program. I have been a little worried about the job market and what my world will be like as an RT, your website has answered many of my questions. I find the material quite fascinating so far. I hope you keep updating the site! Thank-you.

Jazmine (Marck 17, 2013)

10 Things: 1.I'm an RT student 3.I see classmates visiting you, too 4.I think instructors have mentioned your blog 5. The more I know, the more I don't know 6.I'm from Canada and it seems those politics are relative here, too. 7.Your content agrees with what I'm learning 8.Some posts initiate great discussions 9.Your blog is what settled my career decision. 10.I keep coming back for more.

Carla (April 2, 2013)

I'm a physio preparing for my license exam. I came across your blog while I was begging God to help me in understanding how to read an ABG. You were the answer to my prayers.
Physio Student (September 29, 2013)

Thank you for keeping me and the RT world out there entertained with your blog. You bring so much light into our field, it makes one more proud to be an RT!
New RT (October 14, 2013)

I'm a RT student at the University of Manitoba in my second year and can't
thank you enough for the work that you have done on this site! It's a gold
mine of information and great humour, your my homepage too. This site has
saved me so much money not needing to purchase textbooks, and explains
topics better then my course instructors. I just wanted to send this email
to you so you know that your work is appreciated! Your team is
awesome!nnThanks again!

Eric, RT Student, Manitoba, Canada (February 6, 2014)

This is very good! Between you and RespTherapy, I get all the necessary RT education. You have great reading material and he has great videos on youtube.

Anonymous (April 21, 2014)

4 years ago you patiently answered my questions, pointed out great blogs, and gave words of wisdom about the respiratory program. I graduated May 16th and became an RRT on may 29th. Thank you for those encouraging words because it did make a difference.

DeAnna (June 13, 2014)

Hello, I'm starting RT program in 6 days and I'm getting super anxious and
nervous. I found your blog and haven't been able to take myself away from it
in the last day. Except to feed the kid and that good stuff. I'm 34 and have
always bartended. This will be my first college course. So....a little
worried. I just wanted to thank you for being so intelligent and for sharing
your truth, knowledge, wit, and wisdom. Coming accross writings like this
makes it a little easier for Monday to come!!

Amber (June 7, 2015)

2 comments:

Gale Fillinger Grau-duran said...

Any wisdom out there for burnout among respiratory therapists. My burnout is fueled by the negative direction hospitals are headed due to over regulation and fear of litigation. My hospital seems to want robots instead of clinicans. Most people seem to be quite happy being sheep and following the path of least resistance.I feel healthcare in America is on Life Support.Any stories about RT's who have successfully moved out of hospitals into other areas of healthcare would be appreciated.

Movie Nut said...

Consider one of the small branches of RT instead of insisting on staying in the main "Big hospital therapist" branch. My career was completely revived by getting into small hospital work, 25 beds or less. More personal, less robot-like. I had an RRT friend Pat V in Phoenix who left traditional RT and found work full-time writing RC manuals and books. Other obvious small branches you could consider (are you willing to move?) are a) home care b) sleep tech c) hyperbaric (growing like a weed, tends to be low key) d) teaching e) phone RT counseling f) research g) asthma or COPD counselor or coach. Another option is to take a big deep breath and go back to school as a physician's assistant, nurse, anesthesiologist's assistant. Not many PAs go into lung work, so you know there are lots of pulmonologists who would love to find an RT training as a PA to work in their practices.