slideshow widget

Friday, September 2, 2011

What if a COPD patient wants no visitors

Today we feature your questions and my answers.

Your question:  What do you do if a COPD patient wants no visitors?

My humble answer:  You leave him alone.

Your question:  What do you do if a COPD patient doesn't want his Q4 breathing treatment at 2 a.m.?

My humble answer:  You let him sleep.

Your humble question:  What do you do if a COPD patient doesn't want breathing treatments at all?

My humble answer:  You respect his wishes.

Your humble question:  What do you do if an end stage COPD patient is short of breath but says a breathing treatment won't help and he refuses it?

My humble answer:  Chances are the patient knows his body better than you do.

Your humble question:  What if a patient gets dyspneic going to the commode and the nurse calls for a treatment and the patient says all he needs is rest.

My humble answer:  Then you know your patient is wise.  You monitor the patient and pass on the treatment because you know Ventolin doesn't treat hypoxia due to heart failure.

Your humble question:  Yeah, but what if the patient has an audible wheeze.

My humble answer:  What about it?  If it's audible it's not bronchospasm it's secretions.  An audible wheeze is a sign of heart failure.  It's a cardiac wheeze.

Your humble question:  Yet what if the doctor and nurse insist the patient needs Albuterol?

My humble answer:  The patient has a right to refuse.

No comments: