Sunday, August 23, 2026

Apparently Adults Cannot Be Trusted With Albuterol

I walked into the Walmart pharmacy and asked whether albuterol inhalers were finally available over the counter for around thirty dollars. I had heard that they might be.

The pharmacist shook her head. Not in the United States, she explained. If albuterol became available without a prescription, people might buy it and never see their doctor.

Notice the argument.

She did not say albuterol was too mysterious for ordinary people to understand. She did not say it had suddenly become dangerous after more than forty years of widespread use. The concern was that adults might make the wrong decision about their own medical care.

Therefore, somebody else must make the decision for them.

Apparently, struggling to breathe is not enough evidence that you may need a rescue inhaler. First, you must obtain professional permission.

Let me state the obvious before someone accuses me of claiming that albuterol is completely harmless. It is not. Like any medication, it can be overused, and repeated doses can cause tremors. If someone suddenly needs the inhaler far more often than usual or it stops providing relief, that may mean the asthma itself is getting worse and medical attention is needed.

But “this medication can be misused” is not an argument against over-the-counter access. It is a description of nearly every medication sold in the store. If zero risk were the standard, the pharmacy shelves would be empty.

Albuterol is not an experimental drug. It has been used for more than forty years. As a respiratory therapist, I have administered more albuterol treatments than I could possibly count. As a lifelong asthmatic, I have taken more than I could possibly count, too. Other than Breathin Stephen, I rank second in lifetime albuterol doses.

So that gives me lots of credibility.

In hospitals, we sometimes give treatments back-to-back or even continuously during severe attacks. Those patients are monitored, of course, but albuterol itself is one of the most familiar and thoroughly understood rescue medications in respiratory care history. Over decades of clinical use, we have learned that the side effects of albuterol are essentially negligible.

The real issue is not whether albuterol is perfectly safe. Nothing is perfectly safe.

The issue is whether capable adults should be trusted to make informed decisions for themselves.

The standard defense of the prescription requirement assumes that denying someone albuterol will somehow drive that person into a doctor’s office. But a prescription requirement does not provide insurance, create an available appointment, arrange transportation, pay the office bill, or eliminate social anxiety.

It merely creates another obstacle.

The person who cannot afford a doctor does not suddenly acquire one because Walmart refuses to sell him an inhaler. He may simply go home without the doctor and without the albuterol.

How is that safer?

The human math is not complicated:

It is far better for someone to have affordable albuterol and no doctor than to have neither.

Some people may want advice from a pharmacist, and pharmacists should certainly be available to help them. But advice should be available, not compulsory. I should not have to request permission or endure a lecture every time I purchase a medication I have used safely for decades. And Lord knows I do get them. 

Place clear dosing instructions on the package. Include prominent warnings explaining that frequent use, worsening symptoms, or declining effectiveness requires medical attention. Tell people about the possible side effects.

Then put the inhaler on the shelf.

Give adults the information and allow them to decide what is best for themselves. That is not recklessness. It is personal responsibility.

We trust adults to make consequential decisions every day. Breathing should not be the exception.

No comments: