slideshow widget

Thursday, April 18, 2024

The best part of the job

As I stroll through the lobby, a warm smile greets me. "Are you respiratory?" a kind lady asks.

"Yes," I reply.

With gratitude in her voice, she shares a touching memory from 2015. Her husband, once in a coma for seven days, was breathing on his own thanks to our intervention. She recalls how I explained the significance of the purple marker on the ventilator and encouraged deep breaths. Her appreciation fills the air, reminding me of the profound impact our work has on people's lives.

Such moments are the heartwarming highlights of this job. We dedicate ourselves to our work, striving for excellence without seeking recognition. Yet, it's touching when someone remembers and acknowledges our efforts with such genuine gratitude.

As the lady in the waiting room smiles, I'm reminded once again of the power of compassion and connection in our work.
----

Later, I meet her husband, the former patient, who greets me with a beaming smile. "Is this the former patient?" I ask, looking at his wife.

"It sure is," she replies.

Although he couldn't recall our encounter, he expresses profound gratitude for the care he received during his time here. He said his memory faded until his last few days as a patient, after which he was transferred to a nursing home for rehabilitation.

"And here I am," he exclaims, exuding joy, "as happy as ever." he adds, gesturing toward his wife, whose radiant smile mirrors his own. 

His resilience and gratitude serve as a poignant reminder of the transformative journey he had undertaken. It reaffirms the profound impact we have on individuals' lives, even when the details may fade from memory.

No comments: