slideshow widget

Monday, February 19, 2024

I Started Out As A Journalist

In high school, I attended a career day where I had the opportunity to speak with a respiratory therapist. When I asked about the program requirements, specifically questioning the necessity of taking chemistry, he affirmed that it was a requirement. Given my struggles with chemistry at the time, I made the decision to explore another path. With a passion for writing, I ultimately chose journalism.

My decision to pursue journalism felt somewhat like drawing a ball from a lottery bucket, and the ball I selected had "journalism" written on it. That chance moment guided my college choice and set me on the path of studying journalism.

At this time I wasn't the best student. I loved to learn, but had yet to master the art of making what I learned stick in my head. Actually, what I lacked was organization and self discipline. So I mostly got B's and Cs and the occasional D. And I made it through the 2 year associates's degree program. 

We had a school newspaper called the Torch. And I was a writer for one trimester, and this was where I learned the skill of being a reporter. And, being that I am an introvert and have social anxiety issues, it was difficult for me to motivate myself to get interviews. Plus, since I was naive about the world at this time (after all, I was only 18), sometimes I misunderstood what I was being told in interviews. So, this made it a bit challenging for me as a reporter. 

Despite the initial challenges, I persevered and found my footing. During the first trimester, my roommate assumed the role of editor for the Torch, and I was fortunate enough to be appointed as the assistant editor. Little did I know, this would become the most impactful position in my college career.

As the assistant editor, my responsibilities included meticulously reviewing all articles in the news section, a task that significantly contributed to my growth. Critiquing the work of others allowed me to identify flaws, ultimately enhancing my own writing. This role served as a crucible for improvement.

As I became more acquainted with my colleagues and overcame my initial hesitation in communication, especially over the phone, I gradually became more adept as a reporter. This increased comfort translated into a significant improvement in my writing style. I adopted a concise paragraph structure, a stylistic choice that would later carry over into my blog posts.

Although working as a journalist on a college campus presented its challenges, I am grateful for the experience. It not only equipped me with valuable skills but also played a pivotal role in shaping the writing techniques I now employ in my current endeavors.

No comments: