slideshow widget

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Would you pay $1000 a month for a drug that guarantees you'd lose 25% of your weight?

I meet with my financial advisor about every six months, engaging in some small talk before delving into the nitty-gritty of my retirement account and portfolio. Currently, I'm invested in around 15 companies, with most showing double-digit increases and some even reaching triple digits. 

However, there were two investments that didn't fare well in the past two years, prompting my advisor to recommend selling those and redirecting the funds into stocks of two companies producing a new FDA-approved diabetic medicine with weight loss benefits. The catch? It's a $1000 monthly investment.

During our discussion, my advisor painted a vivid picture: take the shot, and a month later, shed 25 pounds. The challenge, he noted, lies in convincing oneself that this hefty investment is worthwhile.

I countered with a somewhat morbid analogy. Think about a car seat for an infant, which costs about $500. Some moms opt for a cheaper alternative, but let's consider this scenario: the mom gets into a car accident, and tragically, the child doesn't make it. Faced with this heartbreaking situation, the mom is asked a question: "Would you be willing to pay $500 to get your child back?" The obvious answer is "Yes!" So, in retrospect, investing in the $500 car seat to ensure the child's safety seems like a wise decision.

Now, let's transition to the expensive weight loss drug, I explained to my advisor. Imagine yourself on your deathbed at 50, grappling with health issues linked to obesity. At the age of 40, your doctor suggests a $1000-per-month treatment, and you decline. Fast forward to your deathbed, and the question arises: "You're here because of a disease caused by obesity. If given the chance, would you go back in time and pay the $1000 monthly?" Most people would probably answer yes, right?

My advisor, while impressed with the analogy, jokingly commented that it's a morbid way of selling something. I admitted to being a less-than-stellar salesperson, and we shared a good laugh about it.

No comments: