slideshow widget

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Your question: I have a question for you. I am a nurse. But, that aside, my 87 year old mother was admitted to the hospital for poop problems. And the doctor ordered QID breathing treatments. She also added 0.3cc hypertonic solution for my mom. My mom has never had any respiratory trouble. She has never smoked. She takes no respiratory medications at home. She is not short of breath. She said the breathing treatments do nothing for her but allow her to spend time with the nice therapists. The respiratory therapist says her lung sounds are clear and she sounds the same before and after the treatments. Today, the respiratory therapist came into the room, assessed my mom, and we had a discussion about why the treatments are needed. We both decided it would be a good idea to discontinue the treatments. So, the RT Discontinued the order. The doctor came in to assess my mom an hour later. And later on I learned that the doctor re-ordered both treatments. Why? Why does a doctor think my mom needs all of this? I am confused? 

My humble answer. Doctors are privy to esoteric wisdom that therapists and nurses are not privy to. For further information on this topic, please check the Real Physician's Creed

No comments: