slideshow widget

Saturday, June 17, 2023

I Do Not Judge

As a safety precaution, I do not judge. I find that this helps me to think and say only positive things. In this way it helps me to stay positive. So as I entered my sons house the other day. I did not talk to him about his messy apartment. To the contrary, I said the opposite, “This is a very nice apartment.” 


I walked around and looked out the front window. I saw that he had a small deck. It was cluttered, although it had two chairs. And I said, “That is a beautiful deck. Do you spend much time out there?”


Of course he said he did. He said he enjoyed sitting out there. 


Many of my COPD patients talk about how their homes are messy. And this is because, as they say, they have a hard time staying active. So, rather than spending the day cleaning, they may clean one area and leave it at that for the day. 


Dusting doesn’t get done today. The floor doesn’t get vacuumed today. The dishes used for breakfast may have to wait for later. So, I enter the house, and it appears messy to me. And I say, “This is a nice place you have!”


And this brings about a smile. “I know you are joking!”


No comments: