slideshow widget

Saturday, October 22, 2022

Have You Ever Forgotten To Log Into Your Phone?

When I was a young therapist, there were no hospital chains. You worked at one hospital and one hospital alone. And that was nice for when you were looking for a job: there were lots of options. Over the past twelve years most of these smaller, independently owned hospitals have been swallowed up by big hospital chains. So, now we work for these large hospital chains. 

So, there are times when I'm asked to work at one of the other hospitals in our. And usually I am unable. But, a few years ago I volunteered to cover a shift at another branch. And ever since then the option to log into that hospital has always been on my phone. And I rarely think about it, And, when I log in, I am automatically logged into MY hospital. 

But, yesterday a nurse came into my office and said she did not see my name under respiratory. She said I was not logged into a phone. And I checked and saw that I was logged in. Of course, it never dawned on me that I was in actually logged into this other hospital. 

So, I worked the first three hours of my shift without being logged into the phone. If someone needed me, there was no way to contact me other than to page over head or to find me personally. Thankfully, I was not needed other than one time. And I was not busy at all, so here I was in the RT Cave. And I was found easily. 

And then my coworker arrived. And she said I was not logged into my phone (Voalte is what we call it here). And I'm like, "Um, I checked and I am." 

And she said, "I do not see you under respiratory." 

Of course, I once again looked at my phone. And I saw my name under respiratory. And so I decided to edit my configuration. And most certainly I could not see a problem. So I handed my phone to my much younger and much more computer tech savvy coworker. And she said, "Oh, I see the problem. You are logged into (that other hospital you worked for that one day)."

"Oh, how the hell did that happen? I said. "Can you fix it?"

And most surely she did, in about two seconds. 

Yes, there have been days in the past I have gone without my phone. Or, in the olden days, my beeper. And, there have been times I have been paged over head. And there have been times I have had to sit in the principal's office (my boss's office) to explain why I showed up so late to a code. 

And the reason is because I am human and sometimes we make mistakes when logging into our phones. And sometimes we lose our phones. Or, as most of us will do at some point in our careers if we work long enough, you may drop it into the toilet. Either way, life goes on. We live. We learn. 

No comments: