slideshow widget

Sunday, June 5, 2022

The Effect Of Faith On The Dying

I don't know if you have Faith or not. I don't know if you believe in God or not. But, I have observed that those who do have Faith in God are more likely to die with grace and dignity. They are the ones who are more likely to be at peace with death. 

Many years ago I walked into a patient's room who was told she had 2 days to live. It was because her heart was pooping out. And she didn't want to have any invasive treatments done. So she was well aware that she was going to die. And yet, as I entered the room, I observed that she was reading a novel. 

And I remember thinking,"Why would someone be reading a novel when they know they are going to die soon?" I figured if it were me I'd be thinking about death and dying. I figured I'd be depressed, if anything. 

And I noted this in my report. And my the person I gave report to said, "Was there a Bible on the patient's bedside table?" 

And my answer was, "Yes!"

And she said, "I am convinced that people who believe in God are quicker to get to the acceptance stage, and they are more likely to be at peace with dying." 

I have many discussions on this topic over the years. And it seems that most of my healthcare colleagues have made similar observations. Many of us have come to many similar conclusions. 

I talked to one man who was told he had hours to live. I entered his room and he was happy and not depressed. He wanted to know about my kids and how I was doing. He wanted to talk politics. And, somewhere along the way, he said, "I am at peace with dying. I accept my fate. I know I am going to a happier place." 

And that is why I think Faithful people die with grace and dignity. They go out with a smile on their face, as they know that they are going to a happier place. 

Another patient said, "I do not want to die. I love this life. And Christianity is the one Faith where whether or not you get to Heaven depends on how well you live in this life. 

And I went to a funeral once. Where the daughter of the deceased man said, "Dad always said that God needs certain people in Heaven. And Dad was a carpenter. So, while we wish he were still here, we understand that God had other plans. God wanted his carpentry skills in Heaven." 

And, those who do not have faith are more likely to be the depressed ones. They will be the ones who refuse to eat because they are sad and depressed. They are more likely to be grumpy and mean as they approach the end. 

I believe this is true of other Faiths too. And from these experiences I have changed my view of death. I am now accepting that I will someday die. And when it is my time I will be at peace with it. Perhaps this is something we learn with aging. Perhaps it is something we learn as we experience life. Although, now I believe it is a because of my Faith. I do not want to die. I love life. But, if God wants me, I accept that. 

This is an observation that we have made here in the RT Cave. What do you think? 

No comments: