slideshow widget

Monday, December 11, 2017

Myth Buster: You Can Lose Weight And Gain Muscle At Same Time

Two friends were discussing dieting. Friend A said he wanted to lose weight and gain muscle. Friend B said, "You can't do both at the same time." 

I intervened: "That's a myth because you can.

Friend B said, "No you can't. It's impossible." 

I said, "It is possible, and I have. That's the entire premise of work out programs like the Body-For-Life." 

"Do you have proof?" he said.  

"Yes. As a matter of fact, I have loads of proof. I have articles. I have myself."

"What do you mean, you have yourself." 

"I am proof. I have lost weight and gained muscle lots of times. I have lost up to 40 pounds while gaining muscle. I mean, I'm no Arnold, but I do have some muscle tone that didn't exist."

See, that was the end of the discussion. But this highlights the difference between common sense and what they teach in colleges and universities. They teach conventional wisdom. They teach the same stuff that has been said over and over and over without citation. 

You have to eat breakfast. You can't eat eggs. You can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. Cholesterol causes heart disease. Salt causes high blood pressure. All of these are myths that do nothing but cause people to eat boring foods that are not satisfying. Foods that make it harder to lose weight.

So, just ignore them all. I mean, do your research. Sometimes the conventional wisdom people are right. When they right give it to them. Let them know they are right. But, when they are wrong, ignore them. You don't have to argue with them. But when it's your children, I think you ought to share what you know. 

Go to Hussmanfitness.com. John Hussman is a doctor. He's also a weight loss expert. He proves how you can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. So, don't just take my word for it. I mean, I've done it. But, take the experts advice before mine. 

In fact, there are lots of people I know who have lost weight. They all look good. But those who participated in a muscle training program developed muscle tone while they lost weight. Anyone who loses weight looks nice. But those who also gained muscle look all the sharper. 

Further reading:

No comments: