slideshow widget

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Can I run on a treadmill if I have COPD and use oxygen?

Your question:  Can I walk on a treadmill if I have COPD and use oxygen?  I want to lose weight and strengthen my heart and lungs.

My answer:  The goal for any person with COPD is to stay as physically active as possible. I think that walking on a treadmill, even if you have oxygen, would be a great place to start. Just make sure you are careful, and know your limitations. On a side note here, it's always a good idea to talk to your physician before starting any workout program especailly if you have a disease like COPD. It's also a good idea to make sure you are not alone in your home when you are doing this. A good, safe, and highly recommended place for patients like you with COPD to get in shape, and strengthen your heart and lungs, is to talk to your doctor about participating in a pulmonary rehabilitation program. This way you will be able to get the exercise you need in a safe and professional environment. 

RT Cave Facebook Page
RT Cave on Twitter
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: