slideshow widget

Monday, November 11, 2013

Will Obamacare make emergency rooms busier?

"Hi, may I ask you a question?" I asked, as I poked my head into the office of the Vice President of Nursing. 

"Sure, come on in," she said.  "Have a seat.  Ask away."

My Question:  Will Obamacare make emergency rooms busier?  Or, will it allow potential patients to afford to go to a doctor's office? 
Her Answer:  Busier!  I say that without a doubt.  People that are wealthy will be unaffected.  People who have good jobs will be unaffected.  Young people are still not going to be able to afford health insurance, and so they will have no choice to continue to use emergency rooms.  So that part won't change much.  Other than that, Obamacare is basically an extension of Medicaid.  Medicaid doesn't pay well, so many doctors don't want to be bothered by it, and simply refuse to accept it.  So all those patients will have no choice to resort to emergency rooms.  So you bet that all those patients will be rushing to the emergency room to get what they perceive as free healthcare.  We will definitely be busier

No comments: