slideshow widget

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Can you live a normal life with asthma?

Your question:  Name something about asthma that you hear a lot and you think is hogwash.

My answer:  Wow, that's not really a question, but I'm up to the challenge.  The thing I cringe over every time I hear it is that you can live a normal life with asthma.  That is perhaps one of the greatest fallacies of having asthma.  Surely you can live a relatively normal life with asthma, but you will never be completely normal.  You can do normal things, and you can have a normal job, but you will have to have a job in a relatively allergen free atmosphere.  You will never be able to leave your house without your rescue inhaler.  You will never have a morning you don't have to remember to take your asthma medicine.  You can't take your health for granted.  If those things are normal then surely you can live a normal life with asthma, but they aren't.  My dad doesn't stop to think, "Hey, do I have my rescue inhaler," when he leaves the house every morning to to golfing.  He doesn't have to worry about it.  He just grabs his golf clubs and off he goes.  So I hate when people say you can live a normal life with asthma.

No comments: