slideshow widget

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How can I manage asthma around smoke?

The following Q and A sequence is from healthcentral.com/asthma:

Your question:  How can I manage asthma around smoke?  I am currently having trouble managing my asthma because of the brush fires that are around my neighborhood. Do you have any advice for management when there is a trigger you cant control?

My humble answer:  That's one of the things that's kind of crappy about having asthma:  there are certain things beyond your control.  It's not like you can walk up to all your neighbors and tell them all to stop burning wood.  The same can be said of backyard campfires and bar b ques. 

The same can also be said of allergens.  You can close all your windows and sit in a hot and stuffy house if you want, but tree, grass and ragweed pollen still have a way of getting indoors.  And no matter what you do, you'll have to go outdoors at some point. 

At least for allergies there's a few medicinal options that aren't avaiable to prevent smoke induced asthma

Of course another option may be to move to a neighborhood that bans brush fires, camp fires and the like.  However, from my own personal experience, such asthma triggers will find you no matter where you live. 

The best advice I can give is to try to stay indoors as best you can on days the air is filled with smoke.  The only other really good option is to continue to do what you've already been doing, and that's work with your doctor to obtain good asthma control.  

Twitter

2 comments:

Erika Kerekes said...

I live in southern California and have had similar problems in the years when we've had an active fire season. We put central A/C in a few years ago with a hospital-grade filter just for fire season. It's helped a lot.

Anonymous said...

I have actually went around the neighborhood and have asked backyard burners to stop burning. Most comply, but for those that do not, I call the town fire department on them. That fire goes out! Have not had to use the 'lawsuit option' yet, but I will if I have to. I will not let my dad's COPD get aggravated by air pollution from these totally unnecessary nuisance wood fires.

Please join our Particle Pollution Forum and bulletin board:

http://burningissues.org/forum/phpBB2/index.php