slideshow widget

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Help FDA create new cigarette warning labels

Within the next year a package of cigarettes may look like a pack of Cyanide. The FDA has made a new regulation that requires the up to 50% of the package to feature warnings of the dangers of smoking.

The warnings will have to feature picture messages that would cover the top half of the front and back of the package -- 50% of the package.

Likewise, any advertisements will have to feature warnings about the dangers of smoking cigarettes covering 20% of the ad.

Once again, I'm not a fan of the government forcing people to smoke, yet considering there are still people who claim not to understand that smoking can kill and is highly addictive, I think it's about time for such a warning system.

For people that are coming to the hospital today because they can't breathe or because they have lung cancer or some other smoking related disease, they didn't know any better.

Prior to the 1980s the dangers of smoking were probably known to the manufacturers of cigarettes, and even to government officials, yet this information was not distributed to the folks. I believe the reason for this was that cigarette sales were good for the economy.

Yet there is not reason anyone on God's great earth should ever pick up a cigarette today not knowing that it's poison. And if the government has to put a big bold picture warning on cigarettes, then it's about time.

Now the FDA has listed some warning pictures to post on cigarettes, and they want you to choose which one you like best. To do this, click here.

I personally don't like any of the choices. I prefer something bolder like the following:
  • SMOKE AND DIE
  • SMOKING KILLS (this one is a choice)
  • IT'S LEGAL TO BE STUPID! SMOKE AND YOU ARE STUPID!!!!
  • SMOKE HAS 40,000 HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS, INCLUDING CYANIDE, ARSENIC, AND NICOTINE!!!!!!!!!
  • If I had a nickel for every time a COPD or cancer patient said to me, "If I'd have known I'd die like this I never would have started smoking!" I'd be rich!!!
  • Facebook
I actually like the one that has a picture of a sick COPD patients.

Or, better yet, how about just placing a picture of a mom and dad on the package and write something like: "Mom and dad want you to smoke!!!!" Like this comic from the Grand Rapids Press.

Twitter

No comments: