slideshow widget

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Moving make asthma worse? What can I do?

Every day at MyAsthmaCentral.com we get lots of asthma related questions. Below are some questions I thought my readers at the RT Cave would enjoy.

Your Question: My daughter just moved to San Antonio, Texas and now she and her daughers have trouble with allergies and asthma. Her doctor says this has to do with the molds and mountain cedar here. What remedies can you suggest?

My Humble Answer: Asthma experts no longer recommend moving to another location to control your asthma, as new medicines work wonders for controlling asthma. Ideally you should be able to work with your physician to determine what you are allergic (or what she's allergic to), and then her physician will have an appropriate recommendation. Obviously, if you know what you're allergic to and can avoid it, then do it. But, otherwise, there are some options. One is allergy shots. Another is asthma controller medicines such as Advair or Symbicort. Another great medicine for asthma and allergies is Singulair. I personally am taking Advair and it works wonders to control my asthma. And Singulair is actually the first medicine to really control my allergies. Yet, your daughter will want to work with her asthma doctor to determine which therapy regimine works best for her. The same for her children.

Your Question: What causes asthma more, running or allergies?

My Humble Answer: About 90% of asthmatics have exercise induced asthma, and about 75% of asthmatics have allergies.

Even so, I think every asthmatic is unique. So there really is no true answer to your question. And, with good control, most asthmatics should be able to live a normal life regardless of allergies or exercise induced asthma.

If you have any further questions email me, or Visit MyAsthmaCentral.com's" Q&A section.

No comments: