slideshow widget

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Should I be worried about taking Advair? What asthma inhalers contain ethenol?

Every day at MyAsthmaCentral.com we get lots of asthma related questions. Below are some questions I thought my readers at the RT Cave would enjoy.

Your Question: Should I be worried about taking Advair because of what I read in the news?

My Humble Answer:
Advair is a medicine that if used properly, or exactly as prescribed by your doctor, can greatly improve your asthma. It has worked miracles for many asthmatics, including myself. So long as you use this medicine PROPERLY, and you pay attention to your signs and symptoms of asthma, and follow your asthma action plan to a tee, this medicine is safe.

I think the reason this medicine gets such a bad rap is some asthmatics rely on it too much, and don't pay attention to their early warning signs of asthma, and wait too long to call for help.

Still you'll want to be alert of possible side effects of any new medicine you take, especially withing the first 2 weeks. As with any medicine, you and your doctor will have to weigh possible side effects with benefits. As your doctor prescribed this medicine, he believes it's safe and may also benefit you.

Consider this my opinion. If you continue to have concerns, you should call your doctor.

For more information, you should check out this link by Dr. Mintz or this MyAsthmaCentral Sharepost by me.

Your Question: What brand inhaler has the most ethanol in it?

My Humble Answer: You can look at the package insert to see if the inhaler your doctor prescribes has ethanol in it. I'm not sure if the amount is listed. I think the inhalers that have ethanol in it are the newer ones with HFA inhalants. However, although I have done some research on this, I wouldn't consider myself an expert. You may be better off posing this question to your pharmacist, although he too may simply refer you to the package insert.

I actually did some research on this a while back. While what I found doesn't give a definite answer (that would make it too easy), it may lead you in the right direction. Check out this link.

If you have any further questions email me, or Visit MyAsthmaCentral.com's" Q&A section.

1 comment:

Asthma Inhalers said...

Lots of Good information in your posting, I would like to tweet your blog post so I can visit again in the near future.