slideshow widget

Friday, November 6, 2009

No consistency

Do you ever wonder about consistency at your hospital when it comes to physicians? Sometimes the "inconsistency" can give us RTs a headache.

Consider the following:

  1. Dr. C lectured me that it's not the role of RTs interpret EKGs

  2. Dr. X lectured me that it is the role of RTs to interpret EKGs, and lectured me when I didn't call him with the interpretation (we don't have an in house doctor at night here)

Consider the following:

  1. Dr. A orders Xopenex on all his patients (He said, "Xopenex is the almighty med")

  2. Dr. B orders Albuterol on all his patients (she agrees Xopenex should be called Hoaxenex)

  3. Dr. C. orders Duoneb on all his patients

  4. Dr. D. orders Xopenex with Atrovent on all his patients

  5. Dr. E orders any combo of the above, and sometimes just Atrovent alone

  6. Dr. F lets me order what I want and at any frequency, "Just let me know what you do."

  7. Dr. G lets me order what I want and at any frequency, "Just let me know what you do."

Consider the following:

  1. Dr. A is an ER doctor who wants me to hunt him down and show him all EKGs

  2. Dr. C is an ER doctor who wants me to hunt her down and show her all EKGs, and lectures me when I don't.

  3. Dr. B is an ER doctor who does not want me to hunt her down with every EKG, that I'm fully qualified to know what one's to take to her right away

  4. Dr. F and Dr. G are both ER doctors and they trust me to use my common sense

I can tell you when Dr. F and G are working my morale is highest, and when I have an opinion I am quick share it with them. If I think someone needs a treatment I will give it, and when I give an assessment with share the results.

The other ER doctors act as though my opinion, my expertise, and my education are no different than that of a hospital volunteer, and treat me as such. When these doctors are working my morale is lowest.

It would seem to me a protocol would not only benefit these doctors but the morale of us RTs too. However, both doctor F and G have made it quite clear they would overrule a protocol even if there was one. But that's fine by me as they have that right.

Still, is my hospital the only one with this much inconsistency?

No comments: