slideshow widget

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Reason for stupid orders: stupid people

I'm telling you folks, you can't make this stuff up. I gave a breathing treatment in the ER an hour ago on a patient I had to wake up to give the treatment to, and auscultation revealed crackles in the bases but otherwise good air movement and no obvious signs of bronchospasm.

While the treatment was going I said to the RN, "Why did the doctor order this treatment?"

"I don't know. You'll have to ask her."

When the treatment is finished I chart, "No difference with bronchodilator."

So, because the doctor ordered Q1 hour breathing treatments on this patient for whatever reason, I travel back down to give the second one. The RN I talked with earlier pulls me aside and says to me:

"As soon as you left after that last treatment you gave he coughed up a big loogie. That's why Dr. Q1 orders these treatments. If you ask her, that's what she'll tell you. She's pretty smart I say."

I concentrated hard not to roll my eyes. But I did manage to say, "That was just a coincidence."

"I don't think so," she said. "Those treatments really work."

I'm telling you folks, you can't make this stuff up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sort of nonsense drives me completely insane. The SAME PERSON will tell you "He needs it because he can't cough" and then call you an hour later because someone else needs it "because he can't cough." Do they not get the inconsistency? More and more I wonder whether the RTs are the only sane people in a sea of madmen. I am sure you can share in this frustration.