slideshow widget

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Ideal night at the RT Cave

I came to work today expecting 17 patients and the ventilator I had on Sunday night. Yet, when I was handed the sheet I noticed there were seven patients on treatments, two ventilators, and one patient on a BiPAP who, I was told, might be ventilator bait.

"You're going to have your hands full tonight," Jane said.

"Hey," I said, "This is the kind of work I love. When we're ventilator, BiPAP, and treatment for bronchospasm busy I love it. It's when you have a bunch of people on needless treatment busy I hate. This I love."

"It's funny you say that," Jane said, "'Cause when I got here this morning Paul said, 'Jane, you're gonna be mad at me. You now have three ventilators.' I said to him, 'Paul, this is the kind of work we went to RT school for. I love it.!'"

I said, "You hit the nail on the head. This is what we went to school for: to think."

No comments: