slideshow widget

Saturday, June 6, 2009

List of things that increase risk for getting asthma

Here's a great list of all the risk factors of things that might trigger on the asthma gene and cause a person to develop asthma. I found this list on Pat Bass's asthma blog.

Additionally, some factors are potentially protective of wheezing and asthma:

  • Breast feeding
  • Attendance at daycare
  • Large family size
  • Increased intake of fruits and vegetables
  • Community resources such as economic development opportunities
  • Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish

I will expound on why these might trigger the asthma gene in a future post.

1 comment:

kerri said...

It's kind of a wonder I didn't get asthma until I was seventeen:

A personal history of allergies:
-mild allergies to oranges and aspartame, as well as chemical sensitivity

Urban living

Low birth weight
-I was 10 wks premature weighing in at 2 pounds 8 ounces

Antibiotic use in the first year of life
-I developed a severe bone infection when I was born, I likely had pretty massive doses of these for a baby.

I was bottle fed, and attended daycare off and on. My family is not large, and I likely don't eat enough fruits and veggies (my bad). I'm a vegetarian so I get no fish oils.

Can't wait for the expansion post.