slideshow widget

Friday, April 17, 2009

Quote of the day -- Imaginary wheezes

I don't know about other hospitals, but where I work a ventilator is an indication for bronchodilator. It matters not if the patient has bronchospasm or not, because just being on a ventilator is indication enough.

So, today, when the third overdose patient in as many hours was put on a ventilator by your humble RT, and this patient too was ordered up on Ventolin Q6 hours, your humble RT approached the nursing supervisor with the quote of the day:

"Hey, Amanda, I was wondering if you'd fetch me -- at your convenience of course-- a Ventolin inhaler for this man's imaginary bronchospasms and imaginary wheezes."

Imaginary wheezes, bronchospasm, asthma, COPD and pneumonia seem to be on the prowl of late, so be on the lookout!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, that's great!

I'm going to have to remember that. *jots down "Imaginary wheezes"*

This makes perfect sense. All the while I'm in clinicals giving scheduled bronchodilator tx that aren't medically indicated, but I forgot about those imaginary wheezes.