slideshow widget

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool myself, shame on me.

It was a nice relaxing day. I needed a day like this to recoup from last weekend, where I worked a four day weekend from hell. You know how it is.

It was 7 p.m., and I stepped outside, took in a deep breath of the cool spring air, observed how the snow was almost gone, and decided I was going to go back inside and relax on the couch with my wife and watch a good movie.

Only, as I walked back into the house, my wife was on the phone. "Oh, here he is, you can talk to him yourself," she said. What's this about, I thought. She handed me the phone.

"Rick," it was Jane Sage from work, "Aren't you supposed to be some place right now?"

"ummm, no." I had no plans, and it was Tuesday, my normal day off. "Why, am I supposed to be to work tonight."

"Yes."

"I had absolutely no clue.

"Take your time coming in. But you picked a bad night to pick up, because it's hell here. I mean real hell. You even have boss coming in in the morning to help."

"You're joking, right?"

"Nope. I'm completely honest." She laughed. I wasn't sure whether to believe her or not.

I hung up. "Jane said it's swamped at work," I said to my wife.

She said, "You do know it's April Fools."

Hmmmm. April Fools hey?

Well, turned out Jane wasn't joking. I decided the joke was still on me, though. I decided that I tricked myself into believing I had the night off. April Fools to me from me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, so unfair. That totally should have been an April Fools' Joke. I managed to convince both my daughters yesterday that the school board cut Spring Break short and they'd have to go to school today. It worked so well, I just couldn't keep a straight face. They were heartbroken.

Anonymous said...

Dude. That sucks. My sympathies to you.