slideshow widget

Saturday, March 22, 2008

ACLS is EASY

While I was studying for ACLS the other night at work, one of my co-
workers who was taking the class for the first time told me she was stressed about it.

"Why?" I said.

"Because there's so much to remember,"

"ACLS is so easy now, you could not even open up your book, go to the class, and still get your ACLS card at the end of the day."

"Really?" he said.

"Really. I mean, I would study, but I certainly wouldn't get all stressed out."

"But what about the Mega Code."

"What Mega Code?"

And I was right on there. I just got back from re-certifying for ACLS, and we didn't even do a Mega Code. Instead of each of us taking turns being team leader, and having to run through a code, all we did was walk through each scenario as a group.

All told, this group Mega Code lasted a mere 10 minutes. Then we took the test as a group, and we were done.

No stress involved.

It's so simple now that I think someone could probably go to the class without studying and do just fine. They pretty much walk you through what you need to know right there, which includes giving us the answers to most of the questions.

And if there are still questions you don't know the answer to, the test was open book and open discussion. How much easier can it get?

I wanted to get the heck out of there, so I did my test by myself and actually got out of the class 45 minutes early while most attendees were busy bantering over which one was right, A or B.

This RT never experienced ACLS of old, where some of my co-workers tell me the Mega Code was a major stressor, but it makes more sense to me the way they do it now.

Now ACLS is more of a learning experience rather than a pass or fail drill. One RN I talked with said it's too simplified, but I personally love this simplified version, and I get out of it just what I need, without the stress.

All told, ACLS is EASY.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there,

This is somewhat reassuring. I'm starting an RT program this fall, but I'll be working as a respiratory therapist assistant in January. Sometime between now and January, I have to become ACLS certified, but the classes I'm taking this fall don't cover anything having to do with EKG interpretation or the cardiac system...so I was a bit worried.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, and feel free to check out my blogspot.