slideshow widget

Friday, June 28, 2019

Get That Out Of Your Mouth

"Her sats were in the high 80s. So, I took the nasal cannula out of her nose and put it into her mouth." 

I cringe every time I hear this. And I hear it at least once a month. Multiply that by 22 years and you get 264 times. That's 264 times someone has said that to me, or something similar.

Back in the day I'd take the cannula out of that person's mouth and put it back into their nose where it belongs. 

For crying out loud! It's called a nasal cannula, not mouth cannula. Just the idea that someone puts something that was in a person's nose and puts it into their mouth sounds gross to me. How about you? 

"But, the sats shot up from 88% to 95% after I did it!"

Yes! True. But you can accomplish the same thing by other methods. You can turn the flow from 2lpm to 3 lpm or higher if needed. You can use a mask. You can use a Venturi Mask. That's what they were invented for. You can use a simple mask. So many better ways to increase oxygen and oxygen levels than by inserting a gross cannula into a person's mouth. 

I have tried explaining the science to people. In the past, I have explained how the sinuses act as reservoirs. As 100% oxygen enters the nares from the cannula, it builds up in the sinuses. When you inhale you are inhaling this oxygen plus some room air. So, you are still getting oxygen.

"But they have a stuffy nose!"

So! They still have sinuses. Air is still getting in.

"But they are mouth breathers!"

So. Even if you breathe in through your mouth, you are still going to entrain air and oxygen from the sinuses. You will still be inhaling that oxygen. 

"But... But... the oxygen sat went up when I did it." 

Fine. 

So, this is when I give up. And I no longer use science. Today, I just keep quiet about it. If the nurse wants to put a nasal cannula into a person's mouth, and the patient lets it happen, I just keep silence. 

If I say anything, it's "Gross!" 

No comments: