slideshow widget

Friday, March 8, 2013

White lies are sometimes okay, right?

Sometimes a little lie is okay.  Like when someone makes something you don't like, it's okay to say "thanks for making dinner tonight."  It's something you say to someone just to make them feel better.

Sometimes you have a friend who is really sick, and you can say, "You look much better today."

Sometimes you have a patient who's lungs sounds terrible upon auscultation, and they ask you, "How do I sound?" You say, "Oh, you sound much better today."  They smile, and a good conversation ensues.

Sometimes you have a patient who is dying, and their lungs sound like crap, and you say, "Well, you're lungs sound good to me."  They smile, and a good conversation ensues. 

What do you think?

Facebook
Twitter

2 comments:

Heather said...

I try not to lie, because nurses do assessments here too so I don't want to get caught in a lie. They'd be to ones to bust me I'm sure, then the patient would lose trust in me.

Phoenix Fire Falconry said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with a little white lie now and then. I also lace my treatments with a bit of positive placebo now and then. A positive outlook can go a longer way towards their good discharge than bogging them down with negativity and worry and anxiety.