slideshow widget

Friday, December 14, 2012

An observation or a complaint!!!

One of the original posts I wrote for this blog was "The six types of respiratory therapists."  Recently I rewrote this post and republished it at putmebacktogether.com.  You can read this newer version here.

This was one of my better posts for this blog, and it continues to be among my most well read.  I've had comments from both ends of the spectrum on it.  "I love it."  "Best post eva!"  Yet on the contrary, I got some negative comments, such as: 
"I find your classifications of the types of RT's mildly amusing, however, there is a negative undertone running through out. I don't believe people are all so negative and prone to conflict as you represent them. I will not be sharing this w/ my staff."
This comment generated others like it, as well as some emails.  Although I'd like you to know a majority of all the comments were good, with my favorite being, "Best post eva!"  Regardless, a writer learns to enjoy all comments, especially the negative.  We are simply happy to be read, and negative comments are reassurances that such is the case.

My post here was not meant to be a negative post.  It was and still is an "OBSERVATION!"  It's the truth.  It's how it is in pretty much any RT Cave around the globe.  Whether you like it or not, it's how it is.  That, my friends, was the purpose of this post. And surely if you don't want the truth to be known, you'll resent it and not share it. 

I think it would be a travesty if someone was excited to become a respiratory therapist, spent thousands of dollars to be one, only then to learn the sun was bright every day in the RT Cave; that it was exactly as the AARC said it was.

Such is not the case with any job, unless you're so privy to get a job as  major league baseball player. And even then I doubt it's as cozy of a job as we make it out to be.  Even professional ballplayers have to deal with modesty and the media.  And then there's the stress of failure when you make it as far as the world series and lose.  There's pressure, and lots of it. 

If you're a wannabe RT, I think it's good to know What RTs really do.  This is not meant to be a complaint, it's simply the truth.  To be honest, it's probably not much different in the RT Cave as it is in any other profession.  None are ideal.  That, my friends, is life.

Criticism is good.  Any comment on my blog is a good one.  Keep them coming.

Related links:

No comments: