The American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) lists the following tasks that respiratory therapists do:.
- Diagnosing lung and breathing disorders and recommending treatment methods.
- Interviewing patients and doing chest physical exams to determine what kind of therapy is best for their condition.
- Consulting with physicians to recommend a change in therapy, based on your evaluation of the patient.
- Analyzing breath, tissue, and blood specimens to determine levels of oxygen and other gases.
- Managing ventilators and artificial airway devices for patients who can’t breathe normally on their own.
- Responding to Code Blue or other urgent calls for care.
This list is an ideal list of the tasks RTs do. For all you RTs out there in the real world, how accurate do you think this list is? Does this paint an accurate picture to prospective RT students?
Based on your responses I will update this list so that it is accurate if necessary. So what do you think?