They put signs up like the following:
- We do not have a maid service, clean up after yourself.
- Please shut off coffee pot when not in use
- This is a garbage, not a recycling bin
- This is for cans only, this is not a garbage!
- This room for employees and patients only!
- This room is in use/ not in use
- Meeting this month is mandatory
- Label and date all food containers in refrigerator
- All unlabeled food will be tossed every Monday
- No drinking by computers
- No food in office
Some of us are lazy for sure, but the majority of us have more important things to think about than whether or not we leave a cup of water lying next to the computer, or have a container that's been in the fridge for two weeks. Some people are clean and organized (the cholerics and melancholy) and some people aren't (sanguine and phlegmatic).
I think a few signs or a few rules are good, but when you start to get a collection of them they become too hard to follow and too hard to enforce. It's better just to have one really important sign, like this:
- Work hard
- Do your best
- We respect your hard work
- We know who the hard workers are, and we appreciate you
Signs are dumb. I'd like to rip them down, and sometimes I do. Likewise, few of these prodigal signs say please and thanks. I'd like to put my own sign up (just one) to put an end to such frivolity:
- Quit putting up stupid signs! And Thanks