slideshow widget

Friday, January 8, 2021

I got my COVID vaccine. I still respect you if you don't

Some people are pro-vaccine. Some people are anti-vaccine. Some people hate pro-vaccine people. Some people hate anti-vaccine people. I, for one, respect both anti and pro-vaccine people. I can understand the argument from both sides. And, besides, I tend to respect your right to choose.

And that's why I think it's neat my hospital did not require the COVID vaccine. They made it, so it was an option. So far, most of my coworkers I have talked to say they either got or will get the vaccine when it is available to them. 

But one of my coworkers said she will not get it right away. She said it is not for political reasons. She said it's more religious than anything. She said that something just doesn't seem right about it. She said she feels like they are pushing it on us hospital workers. And they are using us as guinea pigs to see if it works. If we all die, then everyone else will know not to get it.

She said she had another issue with it. She said she feels the shot should be given first to those at high risk. She said those at high risk are people over the age of 60, especially people with two or more comorbidities. She said, "I am not overweight. I do not have diabetes. I do not have high blood pressure. I do not have heart failure. I do not have kidney failure. There is no need for me to take the chance that this vaccine is safe. I think I am in a good position to gamble and to take a wait and see approach. 

Her argument makes sense to me. I told her I totally respect it. And, plus, I don't see why they would push people her age to get it anyway. Truth be told, those at high risk are over the age 0f 60. And, according to the CDC, people under the age of 60 have a 99.645% chance of surviving COVID just fine. Truthfully, those at the highest risk are those over the age of 70 with two or more comorbidities. That is when the risk of developing severe COVID rises to around the 5% range, which is too high of a risk. 

So, most people do not need to get the vaccine, whether they are front line workers or not. 

And I understand the decision to allow us front line workers get it first. I mean, we need to be around to take care of people. Still, most of us are not high risk. If we get it, we have a low risk of being admitted to the hospital. We have a low risk of severe complications of COVID. We have a high risk of living through the symptoms and returning to work in a short time. 

Those at high risk have an actual chance of getting it and never returning to their normal lives. I do agree with my friend that they should be first to get the vaccine. My mom should get the vaccine before me. I do have severe asthma. But I certainly do not think I am high risk. I don't want to take that chance; hence I got the shot when it was offered. But my mommy ought to have been given first dibs, not me. 

So, I am not an anti-vaccine person. I proved this when I got the vaccine. I am also not a pro-vaccine person. Well, I tend to lean that way. But, I also respect the right to choose. If I was as young as my coworker and didn't have severe asthma, I think I would take the wait and see the route as she has chosen to do.

What about you. What do you think of the COVID vaccine? Please share in the comments below.

No comments: