slideshow widget

Monday, July 13, 2020

My confession about wearing masks

My confession is I have a hard time wearing masks. Rebreathing my own air is not something that is normal. I do not feel comfortable doing it. I have a bit of claustrophobia. I am a phlegmatic person who would rather wear no shirt and no shoes. Similarly, I would rather not wear that stupid mask.

I believe it does offer some degree of protection. Studies show parents have a 15-20% chance of catching a virus from a sick child. When wearing a mask they have an 8% chance of catching a virus. When not wearing a mask they have a 6% chance of getting a virus. So, wearing a mask (we're talking surgical masks here) you have a 2% reduced risk of catching a virus compared with not wearing a mask at all. (1)

The people who reviewed the study did say the following: "We estimated that irrespective of the assumed value for the incubation period (1 or 2 days), the relative reduction in the daily risk of acquiring a respiratory infection associated with adherent mask use (P2 or surgical) was in the range of 60%–80%." Keep in mind this is an "estimated" risk reduction, not an actual risk reduction as determined by an in vitro study. So one must question this estimate. And this goes back to my theory that study results are only as good as the people who are reviewing and analyzing.
 
Another study shows that masks do help prevent you from spreading the disease. But they are not very beneficial in preventing you from inhaling pathogens like viruses. So, most experts say they reduce your risk of spreading germs if you talk, cough, or sneeze. And, in general, more important to wearing masks is good hand hygiene and social distancing. (2)

So I do wear a mask when I'm around strangers. But not necessarily because I think they do any good. And not because I want to. I do it so others feel good about themselves. I do it so they think something useful is being done. I do it because I'm told. I do it at work so I can get paid.

I cannot, however, wear it for long. I might pretend to be a good wearer. I might have it on my face while I'm at Walmart. But as soon as I'm in a spot where there's no one around I pull it off my face. I pick it up and wipe the sweat off. I wipe my nose. I pick my nose.

I have what is called vasomotor rhinitis. This means that eating or high humidity or cool air or any annoying factors make my nose run. So under my mask, I always have a snotty nose. Sure, you can't see it so it does not matter. But it does matter to me. That feeling of hotness and my itchy, runny nose has me lifting up my mask to wipe my nose. Sorry, but it has to be done.

So, you can tell me I have to wear a mask. You might be happy I have one on my face. But the truth is it is not doing me or you much good. And that's what I mean when I say masks are useless.

I wear it well while standing in line. I wear it well when I walk through crowds. I wear it fine during the short time I'm in a doctor's office. I wear it fine when I'm in inpatient rooms. But, even there I find myself poking at it. And I am quite certain I am not the only one to do this.

Again, some studies show surgical masks "might" help protect against the spread of viruses. But no study has ever been done on your homemade mask. So, even while it might make you feel like you are doing something, wearing it is not scientifically proven. You are wearing it at your own risk.

A lot of people say, "I believe in science." So, you ought to wear a mask. But science never proved that wearing masks help. This is one theory. So, the person who says they follow the science are basically people who follow scientism. Scientism is blindly following one theory. Science is more than that. Science is debating. Science is arguments. Science is an ongoing attempt to prove or disprove theories. It is not blind faith in one theory. 

Of course, for many people in this world, "it feels good" is just as good as science. And if you're one of those types, I'm fine with it. And I'm sorry, but I'm not staying home if I don't wear a mask. I need food and clothing and to live my life just as much as the rule-followers who insist on wearing masks.

I bring this up because some people are dicks. I had a friend who told me he went to Meijer the other day. He wore his mask like a good boy, he said. When he was in an area where no one was around, he moved the mask from his face so he could wipe the sweat off of it. And as he did so, this one lady lectured him, "You get that mask back on!"

My friend is a very phlegmatic and amiable person. But he said that comment by that lady made him so mad. He said he wished he had a comment to say right then. But he didn't. He put his mask on and went where that lady wasn't and then removed the mask and wiped his face. See! It's going to get done anyway, you just won't get to see it. 

I am sorry, people, but you cannot remove the risk from life. We can protect ourselves from nasty viruses the best we can. But we must continue living our lives. And when your nose needs to be scratched, and you cannot stand it, then remove your mask and scratch it. That is your inalienable right.

References.

1. McIntyre, et al, "Face Mask Use and Control of Respiratory Virus Transmission in Households," Imerg. Infect. Dis, 2009, Feb, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2662657/, accessed 7/10/2020

2.  Pappas, Stephanie, "Do face masks really reduce coronavirus spread? Experts have mixed answers." Live Science, 2020, June 2, https://www.livescience.com/are-face-masks-effective-reducing-coronavirus-spread.html, accessed 7/10/2020

No comments: