slideshow widget

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

What's it like having a defibrillator?

Your question. What's it like having a defibrillator? Does it shock you a lot?

My answer. I have had a few patients with defibrillators. Although, I think this answer would come best from someone who has a defibrillator. Obviously, to get one is a very stressful decision. But, it certainly beats the alternative. And it has helped so many live longer and better despite a heart condition. That said, below is an answer from someone living with one.

A patient's answer.  "No it has not shocked me yet. It's also a pacemaker. It's paced my heart several times but I don't feel it. If the defibrillator goes off its because my heart stopped or gone into severe arrhythmia. Then I will feel it. I hear it's like getting kicked by a horse. Hopefully I'm unconscious by then. It will probably go off if I have a seizure. I just make sure I stay on my medicines. It's all good!

No comments: