slideshow widget

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Does wearing a mask affect asthma

Your question. What are your thoughts on people with asthma having to wear masks?

My answer.  I think it's a good idea to be safe in public places. I think most of us tolerate it as well as anyone. 

Your comment. pretty much, was wondering if they were safe for people with asthma, or could possibly cause an attack.

My response.  I think they are. I work with many asthmatics who have never reported an issue. I have never had an issue. Even reusing the same mask all day so far have had no issue. Masks have been well studied over the years. There is no evidence that they affect asthmatics. In fact, in the emergency room, even people short of breath are required to wear masks. And I have not heard any of these patients say the mask made them feel worse. Sure, they might not be happy wearing a mask, but that complaint is probably the same one most of us have. 

Your question. When I wear a mask sometimes I feel light-headed, I assume it’s from not enough oxygen?

My answer. Sorry you have trouble wearing a mask. I do not think a mask would affect your oxygen.  Oxygen would have no problem getting through the mask when you inhale. Although, it is true that some people just don't tolerate masks.

If you have any questions related to anything respirator, please feel free to ask. You can contact me by clicking on the "contact me" icon to the right of this post. 

No comments: