slideshow widget

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Pharmacists take flack for dumb prescription policies not set by them


I'm a big fan of doctors writing prescriptions and pharmacies filling them. But, the big insurance companies decided one day that they were in charge. Now they control both doctors and pharmacies.

And it's the pharmacists who take the flack for this. This is unfortunate. I often pride myself on not taking my anger and frustration out on the middle guy. But, the pharmacist is the one who has to tell me I can't get a medicine I went there to get.

"I have one prescription for you," she said, and she started to leave to go get it. But I interrupted her.

I said, "No. Not one. I called in two."

She stopped in her tracks, and turned to face me at the register. "Your insurance will only cover Proair. It will not cover Symbicort until the 8th."

I said, "But it's the 4th. So, your saying my insurance company wants me to go without my steroid for 4 days. That's a long time to go. The last time I did that I ended up in the ER."

And that was true. I did end up in the ER. It cost my insurance company thousands of dollars compared to the measly hundreds for the inhaler.

She said, "Are you only taking 2 puffs twice a day? If you do that one inhaler should last a month."

I said, "The insurance company fails to realize that people aren't perfect. What happens when a person with asthma loses an inhaler? So, we're supposed to go a month without one?"

She said, "It's only 4 days.

Yeah! Not something you say to an asthmatic. lol. That kind of set me off. And then I did apologize, as it was just the pharmacist, the middle guy. Still, it is very frustrating when you can't get the medicine you need to breathe. Nothing major. It's just breathing.

Some asthmatics may be fine going without for a few days. But the way my asthma has been lately, that person is not me.

Interestingly, you go without your controller because you only get one a month. And you end up in the emergency room. That's thousands of dollars, as compared to a hundred dollars for an inhaler. So, when they don't fork out for controllers, sometimes it kind of comes back to bite them in the end.

But, apparently, they don't think of it that way.

No comments: