With all the pessimism regarding the healthcare industry lately, I'd like to create a post here specifically to highlight some of the changes that I think are nice. So here we go!
1. Hospitalists: This market driven profession is just awesome! I mean, what else can I say to express my pure joy with having doctors in the hospital 24/7.
2. Protocols: I believe in the idea of medical specialties, and I believe each specialist should have the power to use his skills to benefit the patient. Protocols, if written right and followed appropriately, will do this.
3. Death Panels: Okay, so the name sounds pretty harsh. And I don't think this is such a good idea if the government decides who lives and who dies. But I do believe that every physician should have this conversation with all their patients over 70, and anyone with a terminal disease. I think the best way to leave this world is with grace and dignity, and the only way that's going to happen is if the patient and his family is educated. If that's what death panels are about, I'm all for them.
4. Nurse Practitioners: Like hospitals, this market driven profession is just awesome! There are times when you just can't get to a doctor, but the NP is available. I have taken advantage of this service a few times now, and I have had nothing but great service.
5. Computer charting: Surely it's caused a few hiccups along the way, but the process to computerize medical charting is a wonderful improvement to healthcare. It's made it so a patient's chart can be accessed anywhere in the hospital. In the old paper chart days, you often had to wait, and wait, and wait to gain acces to the chart.
RT Cave Facebook Page
Rick Frea's Facebook
RT Cave on Twitter