Your phone rings at 2 a.m. and you are awakened from a sound sleep. The annoying nurse tells that Mrs. Ranger -- your infamous CO2 retainer -- is in respiratory distress with an Spo2 of 86 percent. She says the RT made the decision to place the patient on a 40 percent air entrainment mask and that brought the SpO2 up to 88 percent. The nurse says the CO2 on admission was 58. A prn ABG was obtained per protocol on the present O2 settings to reveal a CO2 of 65. The patient is now breathing fine, and she's only calling you because hospital protocol instructs the doctor to be called when a patient requires an increase in FiO2. Which of the following choices is the best statement to say to this nurse?
- a. "Why do you call me for such B.S. at 2 a.m."
- b. "Decrease the oxygen back to 2lpm."
- c. "Decrease the oxygen back to 2lpm and tell RT to quit messing with oxygen on my CO2 retainers."
- d. "You guys did a good job. Try to keep the sat 88-92 with the lowest oxygen possible. Call me anytime."
- e. All of the above except d because RTs are a bunch of useless dummies