slideshow widget

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What can I do to prepare for RT school

Your humble question : I begin RT school this fall. I've heard that it can be quite overwhelming all the information coming at you all at once and a lot of studying. What can I do to help prepare myself until then?


My humble answer: Thanks for the nice comments. I think I wrote a post about this -- Here it is -- a while ago. I think one of the most important things to remember about RT school is it's not easy. Prepare yourself right from the get go for a tough program. Go in with that mindset from the get go and you should be all right. I think a lot of students think they can party every night, work 40 hours a week, and study part time and make it through the program. The RT program doesn't work that way. Most of these students are the ones who drop out or don't make the grades to continue to the next semester.

I would say at least for the first 2 semesters you should give 100% to RT school. You should work as little as possible at your job and spend all your free time studying (and you'll have to take even more advantage of your free time if you have kids). The reason I say this is because -- unless you already have some medical experience -- it'll be like learning a new language. At first it will be hard because you'll have to basically plant a new tree in your mind. Once you get the baseline information down pat, once the basic RT seeds are planted and the plants of wisdom begin to grow, it should be easier to water these plants with new wisdom to grow these plants into a flourishing tree.

When I made the decision to go to RT school I actually talked to my teachers and bought my books about 4months before classes started so I had a head start on everyone else. I took nothing for granted. That worked out great, because I got off to a good start and was able to maintain that momentum.



Facebook Twitter

No comments: